Example of Personal Opinion Speech (outline)

21:06


SPEECH TITLE: OBESITY IN CHILDHOOD SHOULD NOT BE ENCOURAGED IN OUR SOCIETY
Topic: Obesity in childhood.               
Specific Purpose: To share my opinion with the audience that obesity in childhood should not be encouraged in our society.
Thesis: To share my opinion with the audience about the reasons why obesity should not be encouraged in childhood.
INTRODUCTION
Attention Material:
Assalammualaikum and a very good morning to our lovely lecturer, Madam Mahani bt Mohamad and my awesome classmates. Do you know that childhood obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the United States and in Malaysia; according to Sherina Mohd Sidik & Rozali Ahmad (2004), obesity has increased from 1% in 1990 to 6% in 1997 among 13 to 17-year-olds. Because of that, I would like to share my opinion with all of you on why childhood obesity should not be encouraged in our society.
Tie to Audience:
As stated by Lauren Marcus and Amanda Baron (n.d), obesity is defined as an excessively high amount of body fat in relation to lean body mass. For your information, we use Body Mass Index (BMI) to check in which category of body mass we are.
Credibility Material:
Nowadays, we are encountering with obese children everywhere and it seems like a normal phenomenon in our society.
.....................................SHOWING VISUAL AIDS..............................................
This is ironic for obesity is a serious issue and we are letting children nowadays live unhealthily. Truth is, I have always believed that obesity should not be encouraged at a young age.
Thesis and Preview:
Today, many researchers have been done to figure out the causes of obesity at a young age. Now, I am perfectly sure that all of you are really interested with my topic as I can see it obviously carved on your face. Basically, I am going to share my opinion with all of you about the negative effects of childhood obesity.

Transition signal: Hence, to avoid wasting my time, we move on to the reasons on why I believe childhood obesity should not be encouraged in our society.
BODY
THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
·         Firstly, in my point of view, most of those obese children will have problem with their health level. This must not be doubted as it is already stated in an article written by Chris Sherwood (2011), that obese children mostly will have problem with their blood glucose and insulin resistance, muscle and bone development as well as cardiovascular problems like asthma and heart disease. This is because; regularly obese children will tend to avoid from doing any physical activity even once for a week. Hence, having health problems is one of my opinions on why childhood obesity should not be encouraged in our society.
·         Secondly, I strongly believe that obese children will always be the victims of bullying. For instance, in my personal experience, I used to be isolated and always be teased by the others. The worst scenario was when my teacher humiliated me in front of all students during the assembly. That was the ultimate horrible moment that I will never forget for the rest of my life. Thus, being victims of bullying also one of my opinions on why childhood obesity should not be encouraged in our society.
·         Lastly, it seems to me that obese children tend to have low self-esteem and emotional issues, which means that they lack confidence in themselves and in their abilities and talents. This is because, generally, obese children will have poor body appearance that leads them to be depressed and then will cause other effects. One of the effects is their academic performance will drop drastically due to poor performance in school and in social context.
Transition signal: Now we have come to the conclusion. I believe all of you already know the reasons of me not encouraging people to let children nowadays heading towards obesity as I mentioned earlier regarding the negative effects of being obese at a young age which are health problems, being victims of bullying as well as emotional issues.
3. CONCLUSION
To recapitulate, future parents or as a responsible individual, we should look after our children by teaching them to eat well by following the food pyramid and encourage them to get involved in sports and physical activities before it is too late. Hopefully, my personal opinion speech will open your mind and your eyes on how serious this issue is and realize the importance on living in healthy way. Hence, I end my speech with some motivational words “Eat to live not live to eat”.

REFERRENCES
Marcus, L., & Baron, A. (n.d). About our kids. Childhood Obesity: The Effects on Physical and Mental Health. Retrieved from http://www.aboutourkids.org/articles/childhood_obesity_effects_physical_mental_health
S. Chris (2011, July). Livestrong. The Physiological Effects of Obesity in Children. Cited from http://www.livestrong.com/article/501386-the-physiological-effects-of-obesity-in-children/
Sherina, M.S., & Rozali, A. (2004). Childhood obesity: contributing factors, consequences and intervention. Malaysian Journal of Nutrition,. 10(1), 13-22. Retrieved from http://nutriweb.org.my/publications/mjn0010_1/mjn10n1_art3.pdf






You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe