International Summer University Programme

19:53


Last few months ago, I got a call from my lecturer named Madam Mahani Bt Mohd who told me about this international university programme and the best part was she had selected me to be one of the nominees before the final decision was made. Obviously at that particular time, I was extremely happy yet grateful for having this opportunity. Basically, my name is Nazirul Ikram Bin Sirozi and I have been studying in University of Sultan Zainal Abidin taking Bachelor of English Language with Communication. I am very optimistic person and looking for a better life in the future. When I got this news, I always imagine in my mind about what could this programme do with me since I am studying English language with communication. Since then, I realised that there are numerous benefits that I will get from this programme if I was one of the participants in that programme. Among the benefits that I will get from this programme are widening my knowledge and perspective, gaining independence and maturity along with gaining better appreciation of other cultures as well as my own culture.    
          For the first benefit which is widening my knowledge and perspective, it is mainly because of the exposure of new learning environment which is a great advantage for me to learn new things. With a new learning environment and some sort of different educational format and philosophies, I will definitely broadening my perspective on English language by looking at different angels and views on how not only the native speakers communication style but also the international English speaker communication style. There is one saying by Johan Wolfgan Von Goethe that sounds “those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own” which means that by joining this programme, I will be able to relate with what I have learned in lecture with a real-life experiences at there which I hopefully will get it through this program. For instance, in Sociolinguistics subject, I have learned about language repertoire, standard language versus vernacular language as well as how someone could express his or her ethnicity using the language. This is going to be super fantastic if I get a chance to observe these things with my own eyes during this programme so that I can share the inputs with my classmates. Thus, I strongly believe that by joining this programme, it will benefit me in terms of widening my knowledge and perspective especially on language study field.
          Apart from widening my knowledge and perspective, this programme will also make me achieve better appreciation of other cultures as well as my own culture. In my perspective, I believe that by joining this programme, it will give me an opportunity to share my culture as a Malaysian among the others. This is mainly because, it is going to be completely different environment as we know eastern culture is very contrasts with western culture. This will make me acquainted with different country’s customs, people as well as region. One best thing about this programme is that, it will teach me on how to be a cultural-aware person who is able to accept others culture and be an open-minded person but still within our culture values and religion views. Besides, I will also be able to interpret what I have learned theoretically in Human Communication subject into something practical such as intercultural communication which means that when I am speaking the language of a certain culture, I will form a bridge that connects my cultural backgrounds with theirs. This unconsciously will improve my inter-cultural communication skills. Overall, by learning more about others culture will make me able to discover the differences that will help me to learn and identify more about myself. Thus, it is obviously shows us that, this programme will benefits me in terms of better appreciation of others culture as well as my own culture.



          Last but not least, this programme will also make me become more independence and matured person. Living and studying abroad approximately for 3 weeks and becoming far away from my home and my parental guidance will certainly teach me to be an independence and matured person. Obviously, when I got to be there, I need to be full responsible towards myself in any decision making process. For example, if I want to do something at there, it is all about my own decision whether it is going to be good or bad to myself. From this decision-making process, it will increase my self-esteem along with my self-awareness so that any decision that has been made is not harm for me. Hence, it is obviously shows us that all these things are about survival skills that can be polished and I really think that this programme is going to benefit me in terms of independence and maturity.
As a conclusion, although there are many more benefits that I will get from this programme, I believe that the most important thing is that how this programme will give me such a strong sense of myself and understanding of things around the world. I do really hope that I will be selected to be one of the participants in this programme since this is one of what I wanted to do in my life. In general, I have to admit that this programme is so beneficial for me and others.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe